Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman flags-off Navika Sagar Parikrama from Panaji
Nirmala Sitharaman, Union Defence Minister, on 10 September 2017 flagged-off the Navika Sagar Parikrama from Panaji.
The Navika Sagar Parikrama is a project wherein a team of women officers of the Indian Navy will go around the globe on an Indian-built sail boat Indian Naval Sailing Vessel Tarini (INSV Tarini).
It is the first-ever Indian circumnavigation of the globe by an all-women crew. The crew will attempt to circumnavigate the globe on Indian Navy’s sailing vessel INSV Tarini.
The crew is expected to return to Goa in April 2018, on completion of the voyage.
• The Navika Sagar Parikrama will be covered in five legs, with stop-overs at 4 ports. These ports are Fremantle in Australia, Lyttleton in New Zealand, Port Stanley in Falklands, and Cape Town in South Africa.
• During the voyage, the crew would monitor and report marine pollution on the high seas, as also interact extensively with local PIOs during various port halts to promote Ocean sailing.
• The crew would also collate and update Meteorological/ Ocean/ Wave data on a regular basis for accurate weather forecast by India Meteorological Department (IMD) and subsequent analysis by research and development organisations.
• The expedition is expected to promote Ocean Sailing activities in the Navy while depicting Union Government’s thrust for Nari Shakti.
• The Navika Sagar Parikrama also aims to show case the ‘Make in India’ initiative by sailing onboard the indigenously built INSV Tarini.
About Indian Naval Sailing Vessel Tarini
• INSV Tarini is a 55-foot sailing vessel.
• It has been built indigenously.
• The vessel was inducted in the Indian Navy earlier in the year 2017.
• The ship is being skippered by Lt. Commander Vartika Joshi, and the crew comprises Lt. Commanders Pratibha Jamwal, P Swathi, and Lieutenants S Vijaya Devi, B Aishwarya and Payal Gupta.
Former PM Manmohan Singh, Defense Minister Nirmala Sitharaman laid wreath and paid tributes to Marshal of Air Force Arjan Singh at Brar Square. Also, IAF Chief BS Dhanoa and Chief […]