Jordan launches Sahara Forest Project
Jordan in the first week of September 2017 launched Sahara Forest Project to turn its sand dunes into farming land to produce food using sun and sea water.
King Abdullah II and Norway’s Crown Prince Haakon attended the ceremony to mark the official opening of the project near the southern port city of Aqaba.
• The ambitious project is funded by Norway and the European Union.
• In the first stage, the project aims to produce up to 130 tonnes of organic vegetables per year from an area the size of four football pitches.
• The project will use solar panels to provide power and include outdoor planting space, two saltwater-cooled greenhouses, a water desalination unit and salt ponds for salt production.
• The project will be expanded from three hectares to around 200 hectares of desert.
About Sahara Forest Project
• The Sahara Forest Project is a scheme that aims to provide fresh water, food and renewable energy in hot, arid regions as well as re-vegetating areas of uninhabited desert.
• The proposal combines saltwater-cooled greenhouses with solar power technologies, either directly using Photovoltaic or indirectly using concentrated solar power (CSP) and technologies for desert revegetation.
• It is claimed that these technologies together will create a sustainable and profitable source of energy, food, vegetation and water.
Vodafone M- Pesa is offering full talk time benefit on recharges of Rs. 30, 40, 50, 70, 90 and 100 using the mobile wallet for its customers in Maharastra and […]
eVIN project of Union Health Ministry has become global best practise in immunisation. Abbreviation eVIN stands for: 1.Electronic Vaccine Information Network 2.Electronic Vaccine Intelligence Network 3.Electronic Vaccine Intimation Network 4.Electronic […]
India once again broke a global space record by launching the world’s lightest satellite weighing a mere 64 grams, called Kalamsat, designed and developed by 18-year-old Tamil Nadu student Rifath […]
Which country has become the first Asian country to recognize same sex marriage? [A] Taiwan [B] Lebanon [C] Timor-Leste [D] Jordan Current Affairs , General Awareness , General Knowledge Today […]
The 2017 multinational military exercise “Eager Lion” has started in which of the following countries? [A] Italy [B] Kuwait [C] Jordan [D] Qatar Current Affairs , General Awareness , General […]